Thursday, December 6, 2018

About Me: Who I Am And A Little Backstory

In everyday life, I prefer to be in the background. I live what some might consider to be an alternative lifestyle, but my neighbors have no idea, and I like it that way. I'm pretty sure that at least a few of the people who work in my local grocery store know, because some things are not that easy to hide.

Anyway, I met my current husband in March of 2013, just about 4 months after the death of my mother in December 2012. He was introduced to me by an acquaintance, but I was busy with a friend, and said hello distractedly.  The funny part of all this is that when he first came in the building, I was assisting at the desk, and he caught my attention. Tall, long blonde hair, and a nice butt. Honestly, I barely even took note of his face. It wasn't until the next day when I read something he wrote that I decided to write him, not even realizing he was the same man I was drooling over when he walked in. Our first official date was June 1, 2013, and I wasn't even sure if it would work out at that point because he was a smoker, and I detest cigarette smoke. Still, he managed to win over my heart, and, before long, we were seeing each other daily in spite of the distance (47 miles on LA Freeways).  He proposed in early July, and I refused, but a week later, I proposed, and we were married in the middle of September 2013. He was also a nonsmoker by then.

Naturally, friends and family were surprised at the rapid pace, but it was right for us. There are no regrets even now as I'm writing this. We have been through many hard times, and we have leaned heavily on each other and supported one another, even when it felt like everything was crumbling down on us. Illnesses, injuries, the death of his mother, even my son having a rare form of cancer that nearly killed him more than once, and then losing our home. We stuck together when others might have decided to run away and divorce. I guess it helps that both of us have a stubborn streak that prevents us from giving up or giving in easily. Oh, we have disagreements, and there are times when he goes silent, but there is Love.

So, now here I am, 57 years old, married to a 62 year old man that I Love, and, in fact, I'd feel lost without him. Don't get me wrong, I have others in my life who I Love, and they are important to me, but they aren't my husband, and all this worry makes me sick. Why am I worried? It looks like he has prostate cancer, and if my calculations are right, it's most likely advanced. How did this happen? I'll save that for my next entry.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment