Saturday, February 9, 2019

Forward and Onward!

Cancer sucks. I think we can all agree with that.

My Husband's pelvic MRI/CT scan was done yesterday. It was stressful for the both of us, and I was tempted to stay home because I was so tired, but I pushed myself, and went out. The bone scan is scheduled for Friday, and requires 2 separate appointments. The first one is 11:30, the next one is at 4PM. I have decided that if I am half as tired as I was yesterday, I will not be doing a repeat performance of going out.  I can't take adequate care of him if I keep pushing myself, so I will do what I can when I can.

Add to this that his last day at work was Thursday night. It has nothing to do with the cancer. His employer started laying off non-essential personnel in December, and because he was essential he was kept.  They cut off his medical coverage effective January 31st, but didn't notify him until January 28th. This past Monday, he applied for medical coverage under Covered California, and when he got to work on Monday night, he was informed that the doors were closing effective Friday (yesterday) I'm sure at least one person is wondering why he didn't look for another job seeing the writing on the wall, but think about it:  What employer is going to take an employee with a cancer diagnosis, especially one with an indeterminate ability to work?  Not many.

I worry about all this, and I don't think anyone would blame me. This isn't a pity party, it's just what is going on. But I do have a favor to ask of you: If you're a male over 50, insist on getting a PSA test done. It's a simple blood test, and it can save your life. If you know a male who is over 50, encourage him to get tested.  

One last favor, Love, prayers, positive vibes, etc; is greatly appreciated, but there's no quick fix for this nightmare.  I promise that if I need something, I will ask for it. If you don't mind listening to me worry out loud, let me know, but remember, the key word is listen.  

Thank you for reading this, and thank you in advance for getting that PSA test for yourself or a loved one.



1 comment: